It’s formally bug season and I’m scrambling to seek out pure methods to repel all of the bugs thriving from the wetness Might left behind. The summer season months are forward of us and pure citronella oil is an absolute should. Utilizing utterly pure substances, let’s enterprise into the great world of candle making and shield our outside house the pure means with DIY citronella candles! These pesky mosquitoes are not any match for these highly effective insect repellent candles!
We reside in Oklahoma and our state is notorious for allergy symptoms and bugs. There are screens on each window as a result of there isn’t any means you possibly can permit a gateway for bugs to affix your family. If mosquitos are an issue in your neck of the woods, you’ll wish to contemplate making these DIY citronella candles. Plus, I’ll offer you a number of extra recommendations on the best way to keep bug free this summer season!
Why Make DIY Citronella Candles?
Making your individual DIY citronella candles is a good suggestion for a number of causes. One, it’s artistic and enjoyable. Received’t you get a way of satisfaction burning home made candles? Additionally, they create ambiance. Candle mild on the patio, a glass of wine, good music-it’s a vibe that’s for positive! The most important purpose is they supply safety in opposition to mosquitos. Whereas they aren’t the best bug repellent you possibly can use, they’re value utilizing and supply at the least one layer of safety. I prefer to put on THESE non-toxic bands in addition to hold my home made bug spray shut. Whereas training all three habits, it’s best to be capable to have an fulfilling time outside.
A few years in the past I wrote a publish on a DIY Bug Repellent recipe and in addition a Bug Chew Balm. I talked concerning the risks of standard bug sprays and burdened that squirting copious quantities of bug repellent again and again is extremely poisonous. Through the years I’ve made a number of new batches of my bug repellent and have already put it to good use however I’ve at all times wished to make my very own citronella candles as a result of I LOVE candles and who doesn’t want as a lot safety as they will get with these dang mosquitos!
You may additionally like my citronella bug repellent cubes as effectively! These candle wax melts are easy to make and require no wick!
First, a number of issues about Citronella Important Oil…
Citronella oil is a well-liked and efficient pure mosquito repellent. It’s additionally a superb soother for bug bites! It’s a potent anti fungal in addition to antibacterial and antiseptic.
In a 2011 difficulty of Tropical Medicine & International Health, an evaluation of 11 research on the capabilities of citronella oil discovered that the important oil probably offered as much as three hours of safety in opposition to mosquitoes.
Citronella oil repels mosquitos by blocking the scent of people that draws them.
Second, a number of issues about beeswax candles…..
Do you know that beeswax really purifies the air? Beeswax releases NEGATIVE IONS into the air very similar to diffusing important oils does. Air pollution like smoke, dander, pollen, mud and filth carry a POSITIVE cost. The unfavourable beeswax ions connect to the optimistic pollution and mainly wrestle them to the bottom to the place they’re inactive!
Burning beeswax candles may be extraordinarily helpful for these of you affected by allergy symptoms and bronchial asthma! In case you are burning pure beeswax candles, it solely takes a pair hours of burning to assist clear the air!
For extra detailed step-by-step (with image) directions, check with my publish on the best way to make beeswax candles.
What You’ll Want for DIY Citronella Candles:
- 1/2 cup Unrefined Coconut Oil
- 1 lb. Beeswax
- 1 ounce (600 drops) Citronella Important Oil
- Glass containers or jars to your candles.
- Lead Free Wicks
- garments pins
- A medium sized pot
- A glass pyrex bowl with spout
- A cookie sheet
- Put together the empty containers by utilizing a sizzling glue gun to attach the candle wick within the backside of the jar or glass candle holder and steadying it with a garments pin.
- Place your ready glass candle holders within the oven at 170 levels.
- Create a double boiler by filling a medium sized pot 1/2 means full with water, place a glass pyrex bowl within the water.
- Pour beeswax and coconut oil in a glass bowl and permit to totally soften. Hold your range high on low-medium warmth.
- Take away glass bowl from warmth and add 80-100 drops of Citronella to the wax.
- Pour sizzling wax into glass containers. I used to be capable of make 5 candles from 1 lb. of wax. You possibly can see the sizes from my photos.
- Regular the wicks and let the wax cool, ideally in a heat (170F) oven. (see why under)
- Trim your wicks. (1/2 inch from the wax)
- Permit to set for 48 hours as a way to remedy earlier than lighting.
- Purchase low-cost citronella important oil. There is no such thing as a have to go along with a high quality model.
- We aren’t making use of it to our pores and skin and we’re utilizing loads. I used THIS oil.
- If in case you have a bunch of outdated candles mendacity round and even candles that you simply did not burn utterly, you’ll be able to soften the wax and use them on this recipe. Beeswax is in fact a more healthy possibility however I at all times like to repurpose gadgets in my house that I now not use! Skip the coconut oil if you’re utilizing already made candles.
- When you choose to skip the beeswax, you should use soy wax as an alternative. Skip the coconut oil when you do.
Candle Making Suggestions and Methods:
- Warmth your glass candle containers within the oven on low (170 levels Fahrenheit) whereas your beeswax melts on the range high. This may permit little or no “shock” to the beeswax whereas it’s being poured into the containers which is able to forestall cracking. I put mine on a cookie sheet for simple elimination.
- When you’ve poured the wax into your candle containers, permit your candles to chill within the oven at 170 levels Fahrenheit along with your oven door barely ajar. This may forestall cracking as effectively. You should definitely carry on cookie sheet!!
- Cleansing up after beeswax may be an unimaginable activity. I recommend you both use a disposable container to soften your coconut oil and beeswax in, or you’ll be able to put your glass bowl within the oven, permit the remaining beeswax to utterly soften, then wipe it out with a paper towel. It’s the one means I’ve discovered to wash up.
- When first lighting your candles, at all times level the flame on the backside of the wick in order that your candle will burn accurately.
- The primary time you burn your candle, ensure you might have sufficient time to let it burn lengthy sufficient for the wax to soften evenly on the highest of the candle. That is necessary with any candle and helps “practice” your candle to not tunnel. (see under for extra recommendations on avoiding tunneling)
- Don’t get in a rush when melting your beeswax. When you soften your wax in too excessive a temp, you possibly can render the beeswax ineffective. Hold the range high on low-medium warmth.
- Don’t add your important oils whereas the warmth continues to be on the wax. If the wax is just too sizzling, the oil will deplete and in addition be ineffective.
Associated Submit: Important Oil Spider Spray
Additional Useful Tricks to Hold Mosquitos Away:
- As talked about above, THESE bands are nice. They’re low-cost, snug and simple to go out at events.
- Plant lemon balm and/or citronella round your patio or had been you want to hang around. These crops add an additional layer of safety in opposition to annoying bugs. Citronella is a “tender perennial” so when you don’t have a tough winter, it most probably will come again every spring. Lemon Balm can be a perennial and a bit extra hardy.
- Drop a number of additional drops of important oil on the floor of your candles earlier than lighting.
- Lemon Eucalyptus oil is one other pure oil that works effectively in opposition to mosquitos and can be utilized in a diffuser outside.
- Burn citronella incense whereas exterior.
- Test round your patio house for any standing/stagnant water. You’d be shocked how eliminating water round your sitting space could make an enormous distinction.
Bother Capturing Candle Tunneling
Selfmade beeswax candles, whereas simple to make, are arduous to get proper. As you’ll be able to see from my pics, my candles are tunneling (when the wax solely burns down the center of the candle).
I’ve found out a number of methods to maintain your candles from tunneling and handle it intimately in my the best way to make beeswax candles publish. I’ll inform you right here that it’s crucial that you simply “practice” your candles the primary time you mild them. This implies, you allow them to burn lengthy sufficient that the wax melts all the way in which to the outer edges of the container. Beeswax candles have a tendency to want some assist with this so I’d recommend you employ foil to assist. See image under.
Additionally, don’t be afraid to make use of 2 wicks in a single container. I’m discovering that solely votives work with 1 wick. Something bigger wants 2 if not 3 wicks.
Have enjoyable with this enjoyable home made citronella candle recipe! This 12 months, we want all the assistance we are able to get exterior!
You may additionally take pleasure in my tutorial for making soy candles.
Making your individual home made citronella candles is an effective way to salvage these summer season nights spent exterior. They’re simple to make and comparatively reasonably priced. I feel THESE jars are an ideal measurement to make fairly a number of candles to maintain readily available to convey as hostess items to barbecues!