It’s formally bug season and I’m scrambling to search out pure methods to repel all of the bugs thriving from the wetness Could left behind. The summer season months are forward of us and pure citronella oil is an absolute should. Utilizing fully pure components, let’s enterprise into the great world of candle making and defend our outside area the pure means with DIY citronella candles! These pesky mosquitoes are not any match for these highly effective insect repellent candles!
We stay in Oklahoma and our state is notorious for allergic reactions and bugs. There are screens on each window as a result of there is no such thing as a means you possibly can permit a gateway for bugs to affix your family. If mosquitos are an issue in your neck of the woods, you’ll need to take into account making these DIY citronella candles. Plus, I’ll offer you just a few extra recommendations on how you can keep bug free this summer season!
Why Make DIY Citronella Candles?
Making your personal DIY citronella candles is a good suggestion for just a few causes. One, it’s inventive and enjoyable. Gained’t you get a way of delight burning home made candles? Additionally, they create ambiance. Candle mild on the patio, a glass of wine, good music-it’s a vibe that’s for certain! The most important purpose is they supply safety in opposition to mosquitos. Whereas they aren’t the simplest bug repellent you possibly can use, they’re price utilizing and supply a minimum of one layer of safety. I prefer to put on THESE non-toxic bands in addition to hold my home made bug spray shut. Whereas training all three habits, it is best to be capable to have an pleasing time open air.
A few years in the past I wrote a publish on a DIY Bug Repellent recipe and in addition a Bug Chunk Balm. I talked concerning the risks of typical bug sprays and harassed that squirting copious quantities of bug repellent time and again is extremely poisonous. Over time I’ve made a number of new batches of my bug repellent and have already put it to good use however I’ve at all times wished to make my very own citronella candles as a result of I LOVE candles and who doesn’t want as a lot safety as they will get with these dang mosquitos!
You may also like my citronella bug repellent cubes as nicely! These candle wax melts are easy to make and require no wick!
First, just a few issues about Citronella Important Oil…
Citronella oil is a well-liked and efficient pure mosquito repellent. It’s additionally a wonderful soother for bug bites! It’s a potent anti fungal in addition to antibacterial and antiseptic.
In a 2011 situation of Tropical Medicine & International Health, an evaluation of 11 research on the capabilities of citronella oil discovered that the important oil possible supplied as much as three hours of safety in opposition to mosquitoes.
Citronella oil repels mosquitos by blocking the scent of people that pulls them.
Second, just a few issues about beeswax candles…..
Do you know that beeswax really purifies the air? Beeswax releases NEGATIVE IONS into the air very like diffusing important oils does. Air pollution like smoke, dander, pollen, mud and grime carry a POSITIVE cost. The unfavorable beeswax ions connect to the optimistic pollution and principally wrestle them to the bottom to the place they’re inactive!
Burning beeswax candles may be extraordinarily helpful for these of you affected by allergic reactions and bronchial asthma! In case you are burning pure beeswax candles, it solely takes a pair hours of burning to assist clear the air!
For extra detailed step-by-step (with image) directions, discuss with my publish on how you can make beeswax candles.
What You’ll Want for DIY Citronella Candles:
- 1/2 cup Unrefined Coconut Oil
- 1 lb. Beeswax
- 1 ounce (600 drops) Citronella Important Oil
- Glass containers or jars on your candles.
- Lead Free Wicks
- garments pins
- A medium sized pot
- A glass pyrex bowl with spout
- A cookie sheet
- Put together the empty containers through the use of a scorching glue gun to connect the candle wick within the backside of the jar or glass candle holder and steadying it with a garments pin.
- Place your ready glass candle holders within the oven at 170 levels.
- Create a double boiler by filling a medium sized pot 1/2 means full with water, place a glass pyrex bowl within the water.
- Pour beeswax and coconut oil in a glass bowl and permit to totally soften. Maintain your range prime on low-medium warmth.
- Take away glass bowl from warmth and add 80-100 drops of Citronella to the wax.
- Pour scorching wax into glass containers. I used to be in a position to make 5 candles from 1 lb. of wax. You’ll be able to see the sizes from my photos.
- Regular the wicks and let the wax cool, ideally in a heat (170F) oven. (see why beneath)
- Trim your wicks. (1/2 inch from the wax)
- Permit to set for 48 hours with a purpose to remedy earlier than lighting.
- Purchase low-cost citronella important oil. There isn’t a must go along with a high quality model.
- We aren’t making use of it to our pores and skin and we’re utilizing rather a lot. I used THIS oil.
- You probably have a bunch of previous candles mendacity round and even candles that you simply did not burn fully, you’ll be able to soften the wax and use them on this recipe. Beeswax is after all a more healthy choice however I at all times like to repurpose objects in my residence that I now not use! Skip the coconut oil if you’re utilizing already made candles.
- For those who want to skip the beeswax, you should utilize soy wax as an alternative. Skip the coconut oil for those who do.
Candle Making Suggestions and Methods:
- Warmth your glass candle containers within the oven on low (170 levels Fahrenheit) whereas your beeswax melts on the range prime. It will permit little or no “shock” to the beeswax whereas it’s being poured into the containers which can forestall cracking. I put mine on a cookie sheet for simple elimination.
- When you’ve poured the wax into your candle containers, permit your candles to chill within the oven at 170 levels Fahrenheit together with your oven door barely ajar. It will forestall cracking as nicely. Make sure to carry on cookie sheet!!
- Cleansing up after beeswax may be an unimaginable activity. I recommend you both use a disposable container to soften your coconut oil and beeswax in, or you’ll be able to put your glass bowl within the oven, permit the remaining beeswax to fully soften, then wipe it out with a paper towel. It’s the one means I’ve discovered to scrub up.
- When first lighting your candles, at all times level the flame on the backside of the wick in order that your candle will burn appropriately.
- The primary time you burn your candle, be certain you may have sufficient time to let it burn lengthy sufficient for the wax to soften evenly on the highest of the candle. That is essential with any candle and helps “practice” your candle to not tunnel. (see beneath for extra recommendations on avoiding tunneling)
- Don’t get in a rush when melting your beeswax. For those who soften your wax in too excessive a temp, you possibly can render the beeswax ineffective. Maintain the range prime on low-medium warmth.
- Don’t add your important oils whereas the warmth remains to be on the wax. If the wax is just too scorching, the oil will dissipate and in addition be ineffective.
Associated Put up: Important Oil Spider Spray
Additional Useful Tricks to Maintain Mosquitos Away:
- As talked about above, THESE bands are nice. They’re low-cost, snug and simple to cross out at events.
- Plant lemon balm and/or citronella round your patio or have been you want to hang around. These crops add an additional layer of safety in opposition to annoying bugs. Citronella is a “tender perennial” so for those who don’t have a tough winter, it most probably will come again every spring. Lemon Balm can also be a perennial and a bit extra hardy.
- Drop just a few further drops of important oil on the floor of your candles earlier than lighting.
- Lemon Eucalyptus oil is one other pure oil that works nicely in opposition to mosquitos and can be utilized in a diffuser open air.
- Burn citronella incense whereas exterior.
- Verify round your patio area for any standing/stagnant water. You’d be shocked how eliminating water round your sitting space could make an enormous distinction.
Bother Taking pictures Candle Tunneling
Do-it-yourself beeswax candles, whereas simple to make, are exhausting to get proper. As you’ll be able to see from my pics, my candles are tunneling (when the wax solely burns down the center of the candle).
I’ve discovered just a few tips to maintain your candles from tunneling and deal with it intimately in my how you can make beeswax candles publish. I’ll inform you right here that it’s crucial that you simply “practice” your candles the primary time you mild them. This implies, you allow them to burn lengthy sufficient that the wax melts all the best way to the outer edges of the container. Beeswax candles have a tendency to want some assist with this so I’d recommend you employ foil to assist. See image beneath.
Additionally, don’t be afraid to make use of 2 wicks in a single container. I’m discovering that solely votives work with 1 wick. Something bigger wants 2 if not 3 wicks.
Have enjoyable with this enjoyable home made citronella candle recipe! This yr, we want all the assistance we will get exterior!
You may also get pleasure from my tutorial for making soy candles.
Making your personal home made citronella candles is an effective way to salvage these summer season nights spent exterior. They’re simple to make and comparatively inexpensive. I believe THESE jars are an amazing dimension to make fairly just a few candles to maintain readily available to carry as hostess items to barbecues!